Indigenous Peoples Section

Members: 271

IAIA Section: Indigenous Peoples

This section addresses indigenous issues in impact assessment, including developing guidelines for the recognition and full inclusion of indigenous concerns in all aspects of impact assessment, traditional knowledge, and impact assessment capacity building for indigenous people. The Aashukan Declaration was adopted by IAIA in 2017.

Co-Chairs:  Kepa Morgan 

tags/keywords

Section indigenous

This discussion can be seen by anyone
You are subscribed to this group via notifications: Change your notifications

The Indigenous Peoples Section and IAIA 11

Switch to Threaded View
Discussion started by Martin Haefele 8 years ago

Dear section members:

Many of you will be making final preparations to travel to Puebla for this year’s annual IAIA meeting.  Our section will have a rather busy schedule on Wednesday June 1st:

• On Wednesday morning we have a joint theme forum with the Social Impact Assessment section on agreements between communities and industry.   (9:00 to 10:30 room Violeta I & II)
  • The theme forum is followed by a workshop during which we want to explore, among other things, how these agreements should be reflected in our International Best Practice Principles for Respecting Indigenous Peoples and Traditional Knowledge.  (11:00 to 12:30 room Oriental II)
  • The work shop is followed by lunch and the section rendezvous (13:30 to 14:20; there will be reserved tables)
  • And on the same day in the evening we will have our annual section meeting (18:10 to 19:20 Violeta II)

I am looking forward to seeing many of you at the theme forum and the workshop.  Realizing that the section meeting will be at the end of a long day we will try to keep the meeting short and the agenda light.  Some things we should be dealing with are:

1. Electing new chair(s) or confirming the old ones.  Please don’t be shy if you are interested.
  2. A quick review of the outcomes of the workshop earlier in the day to figure out what, if any, changes or additions to the draft best practice principles are required.  Don’t worry, we won’t be editing the document at the meeting.
  3. A brief discussion on what is next for the section.  If all goes well we will finalize the principle not long after the conference and we may want to toss a few ideas around on what the section should focus on afterwards.

Please feel free to respond to this message with any ideas about the section meeting, or the section in general.  Especially any ideas about item 3 above.

See you in Puebla

Martin

2 Replies
Reply posted by Martin Haefele 8 years ago

Thanks Cassio,

I'm looking forward to some interesting discussions.  And I will check out the resource as soon as I get a minute between packing for the trip and frantically trying to ty up loose ends at work.

Martin

Reply posted by Cassio Ingles De Sousa 8 years ago

Dear Martin and all other fellows,

I am a Brazilian Anthropologist who works with Indigenous Peoples and Impact assessment. I will attend Puebla's Conference with the staff of Vale's company on Indigenous Peoples Affairs. We will be at the Theme Forum, Workshop and Section Meeting.

An interesting resource to help us at the Principles discussion process is the "Good Practice Guide on Mining and Indigenous Peoples", edited last year by ICMM. There are many thoughts and tools which I believe are very useful for us at the IA.

The guide is available fo Download in English, Spanish and French http://www.icmm.com/content/newsletter/333091/http://www.icmm.com/document/1589

See you in Puebla.

Wish a very nice trip to everyone!

Cássio Ingles de Sousa

Copyright © 2019 IAIA. All rights reserved. | Powered by MemberFuse ⑯ View Mobile Site